Student Learning Outcomes Committee  

Agenda

September 19, 2007 2:00 pm, LMC Conference Room

 

I.                   Call to Order

II.                Approval of Agenda

III.             Approval of Minutes

IV.             Action Items

a.       Who will be our note taker?

b.      What format for SLOs in course outlines?

c.       Creating our plan of action

d.      Creating a common vocabulary

e.       Developing “Core Competencies”

f.       Items in a Faculty guide or handbook

g.      Information for a website

V.                Informational/Other Items of Business

VI.             Next Scheduled Meeting

a.       Wednesday, October 3 is next scheduled meeting.

b.      Sara will be at a conference in San Jose

VII.          Adjournment

Student Learning Outcomes Committee

Minutes

September 19, 2007 2:00 pm, LMC Conference Room

 

I.                   Call to Order

II.                Approval of Agenda

III.             Approval of Minutes

IV.             Action Items

      A. Susan Regier will be note taker

      B. Format for SLOs in course outlines.

Sara distributed handouts:  Bakersfield College sample; sample from PC; blank form.

Jay Hargis discussed the information he read on Oxnard College website public information.  Questions that instructors need to ask themselves before they create student learning outcomes.

Ron supported the work that was done during this summer’s workshop and that we accept the form worked on this summer.  He also suggested that the form be attached as an addendum to the course outline.

Ron suggested that if the course objective differs from what would have been on the outline, it will need to be changed.

Members changed wording on the draft form for student learning outcomes from course objective to student learning objective.  Removing “course” will help programs and divisions  use  the same form.

Form will be called Student Learning Outcomes Matrix.  Student Learning Objective  in the first column.

Change course outline to include idea that “Student Learning Objectives Matrix” must be attached.  Refer to curriculum committee for changes.

C. Plan of Action.  

Decision needs to be made as to whether recommendations of this committee should go to the Curriculum Committee or the Academic Senate.  Since Ron is on this committee, it would be better if this committee reports directly to Senate.

Composition of committee should be a representative from every division, academic senate president, curriculum chair, adjunct representative, and student rep.

Give out samples of SLOs done in the summer as samples and send out key words from Bloom’s Taxonomy. 

Information for SLOs should be put on Curriculum Drive—Student Learning Outcomes  Resources  folder—K drive.  Should include samples, instructions, action words. And Bloom’s Taxonomy, Frequently asked questions. Items should be called “drafts”.

Sara will work with Randy Morgan to create a website.

Bring drafts of 5-year plan (Dale will work on it.) Jay will bring Bloom’s Taxonomy.

V.                Informational/Other Items of Business

VI.             Next Scheduled Meeting

Wednesday, October 3 is next scheduled meeting.

Sara will be at a conference in San Jose

VII.          Adjournment

 

Sub-Committee Members

PE/Recreation – Ron Glahn; Social Science – Jay Hargis; Student Services -Carmen Martin ; Science/Math – Rickelle Syrdahl; Language Arts – Susan Regier; Adjunct – Rob Hodges; Career and Technical Education – Craig Britton; Health Careers – Karen Boriack; Fine Arts – Jim Entz; Academic Senate President – Craig Britton; Curriculum Committee Chair – Ron Glahn; Administration – Dale Norton

Student Representative-as yet not filled