Student Learning Outcomes Committee

Minutes

October 3, 2007 2:00 pm, LMC Conference Room

 

I.                   Call to Order

II.                Approval of Agenda – No additions

III.             Approval of Minutes

IV.             Action Items

A.    Creating a common vocabulary.  Jay did not bring Bloom’s taxonomy, so item was tabled.

B. Developing core competencies. College needs to adopt core competencies formally.  This committee should initiate a draft of competencies and begin the dialogue.

C. Items in a faculty guide or handbook.

We are in process of rewriting the curriculum handbook, which as it is updated should include information on SLOs. (per Ron) 

 

V.                Informational/Other Items of Business

Ø  An online resource that faculty can access would be helpful.

Ø  Everything does not have to be done immediately.  We need to incorporate the Web site establishment into the timeline.  Per Dale, the website exists already.

Ø  Curriculum committee at its last meeting adopted the Matrix form and it may already be available on the curriculum drive. Sara was to submit examples on the K-drive already.  Need to check with Sara.

Ø  Offer an update during flex days, so people could complete some course outlines and get up-dated information.

Ø  Review of draft timeline:  Need to standardize requirements for SLOs.

Ø  Include something about reaching out to adjunct faculty.

Ø  Timeline for requiring SLO in course outlines.  Must be done within last four years or steps will be taken to exclude them from schedule.

Ø  The matrix needs to be attached to course outline, in addition to course objectives.

Ø  Dale needs to see Title V language that requires review of course outlines every four years.

Ø  Need to add to 2007-2008 that we need to define timeline and initiate a process for inclusion of institutional level also. We have already initiated a process for curriculum level.

Ø  Change to define a four-year timeline for inclusion of student learning outcomes and assessment

Ø  2008-2009 -  Gather data and documentation on Student Learning Outcomes to evaluate the extent to which results are being used to make changes that enhance student learning.

.

VI.             Next Scheduled Meeting

Wednesday, October 17 is next scheduled meeting.

VII.          Adjournment

 

Sub-Committee Members

PE/Recreation – Ron Glahn; Social Science – Jay Hargis; Student Services -Carmen Martin ; Science/Math – Rickelle Syrdahl; Language Arts – Susan Regier; Adjunct – Rob Hodges; Career and Technical Education – Craig Britton; Health Careers – Karen Boriack; Fine Arts – Jim Entz; Academic Senate President – Craig Britton; Curriculum Committee Chair – Ron Glahn; Administration – Dale Norton

Student Representative-as yet not filled