Catalog  –  2013 - 2014


Catalog Rights/Continuous Enrollment

Students may graduate under the general degree requirements in effect:

  1. At the time of first enrollment as long as continuous enrollment is maintained. OR.
  2. If continuous enrollment is broken, under the requirements in effect at the time continuous enrollment is re-established and maintained, OR
  3. Under the requirements in effect at the time of graduation.

Continuous enrollment means enrolling in at least one term during the academic year. For the purpose of continuous enrollment, an academic record year begins in the fall semester and includes the following spring and summer terms. Any academic record symbol (A-F, P, NP, I, IP, RD, W) shall constitute enrollment.

Confidentiality of Student Records

Student record means any item of information directly related to an identifiable student, other than directory information, which is maintained by a community college whether recorded by handwriting, print, tapes, film, microfilm, or any other means.

Student record does not include:

  • Confidential letters and statements of recommendation.
  • Information provided by a student’s parents related to financial aid or scholarships.
  • Information related to a student that remains in the sole possession of the maker (e.g. individual counselor or instructor notes).
  • Information related to a student created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist in his or her professional capacity.
  • Information maintained by a community college law enforcement unit, and the information is used solely for law enforcement purposes.

Directory information may include one or more of the following items: student’s name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, e-mail address, photograph, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the most recent previous public or private school attended by the student, and any other information authorized in writing by the student.

The Office of Admissions and Records of the colleges are the designated keepers of student records. Those offices shall not release any information from the official student records (other than directory information) to any outside person or group unless the student provides a signed and dated release or a legally valid subpoena is received except that access may be permitted to:

  • Officials and employees of the district and college if those persons have legitimate educational needs to inspect the records;
  • Auditors, other federal, state and local officials pursuant to state law;
  • Agencies in connection with financial aid;
  • Organizations conducting approved educational studies;
  • Appropriate persons in connection with an emergency situation, officials of other public or private schools or school systems, where the student seeks to attend.

The Directors of Admissions and Records of the colleges may authorize the release of directory information about students who have authorized the release of that information to legitimate educational institutions, governmental agencies, firms that perform contracted work on behalf of the college or district, and other agencies that have legitimate need for this information upon receipt of a formal request on official letterhead from the organization making the request.

If a student does not want this information released, the student must check the privacy requested boxes on the online admissions form or the update form.

Controlled Substances

The use, sale, or possession on campus of, or presence on campus under the influence of, any controlled substance is prohibited by law. Violation of this policy will result in disciplinary action as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.

Credits Allowed from Other Institutions

Porterville College grants credit for lower division work from accredited colleges or universities. Transferred courses may count toward completion of general education, majors, certificates, electives, and developmental or prerequisite requirements. Before an evaluation of courses from other colleges and universities can be completed, students must submit official copies of transcripts showing all attempted work from each college or university attended. Unofficial copies of transcripts cannot be used to officially evaluate courses for transfer.

When a degree evaluation application has been submitted, the campus evaluator will complete an official evaluation of the transferred courses. Students wishing to have transcripts evaluated prior to the formal degree evaluation process may do so by completing the Request for Transcript Evaluation in the Office of Admissions and Records. For courses taken from out-of-state or private colleges where a catalog and course descriptions are not on file at the college, the student will be responsible for providing a copy of the course descriptions to the campus evaluator.

Failure to provide official transcripts will delay and possibly prevent graduation. Transcripts should be sent directly from the college or university to the Porterville College Office of Admissions and Records. All transcripts become the property of the college and will not be returned or released to other institutions.