About the College
Porterville College was established in 1927 as a part of the Porterville Union High School and College District and has been a unit of the Kern Community College District since July 1, 1967.
Porterville College is located at 100 East College Avenue, Porterville, California, at the base of the scenic High Sierra Mountain Range in southeastern Tulare County. The population of the Porterville urban area is approximately 54,000 persons and that of the surrounding service area is 90,000 persons. Porterville is the gateway to a vast mountain wonderland and recreational area. It is within three hours commuting time to the seashores of the Pacific or to the metropolitan Los Angeles area.
Porterville College is the northernmost college in the Kern Community College District, which serves an area of some 24,000 square miles in all or portions of Kern, Tulare, Inyo, and San Bernardino Counties. Other colleges in the district are Bakersfield College in Bakersfield and Cerro Coso Community College in Ridgecrest.
With students as our focus, Porterville College provides our local and diverse communities an excellent educational experience that fosters intellectual curiosity and growth, lifelong learning, and prepares our students for personal and academic success.
In support of our values and philosophy, Porterville College will:
- Provide quality academic programs to all students who are capable of benefiting from community college instruction.
- Provide comprehensive support services to help students achieve their personal, vocational and academic potential.
- Prepare students for transfer and success at four-year institutions.
- Provide courses and training to prepare students for employment or to enhance skills within their current careers.
- Provide developmental education to students who need to enhance their knowledge and understanding of basic skills.
- Recognize student achievement through awarding degrees, certificates, grants, and scholarships.
Porterville College’s core values define the character of the institution and are active ingredients in all that the College does. Through our commitment to these values the College can better serve and be more responsive to its students, staff, and community:
- Collaboration – working together to encourage input and dialogue in a collegial and cooperative manner.
- Respect – treating each other with respect, trust, and dignity.
- Innovation – nurturing and supporting exploration of new ideas, programs, and services to enhance our service to the community.
- Accountability – continuously assessing where we are as a College and to assume responsibility for all that we do.
- Participation – fostering and encouraging the involvement of staff and students in campus activities and the various aspects of the College decision-making process.
In support of our mission and values, Porterville College will base its decisions and actions upon the following beliefs:
- All students at Porterville College will be treated with respect and dignity regardless of who they are or the goals they have established for themselves.
- The College staff will provide the best service possible to its students in order for them to meet their individual academic or vocational goals.
- The College will encourage innovation, creativity, and new ideas and will support professional development opportunities for its staff.
- As an integral part of the community, the College will interact with and be responsive to local business and industry. As an integral part of the Kern Community College District, the College will participate in and be actively involved with all district-wide committees and governance structures.