Catalog  –  2013 - 2014

Getting Started at Porterville College

Academic Eligibility

A high school graduate, or anyone who has a Certificate of Proficiency or a General Education Development (GED) may be admitted to Porterville College.

Any person 18 years of age or older who is not a high school graduate may be admitted if his/her previous training or experience indicates that he/she will benefit from the offerings of the college. Such students must have the approval of the Director of Admissions & Records.

Special Status Admission

In accordance with California Education Code regulations, K-12 students may enroll as special part-time students on a seats-available basis. Enrollment must be recommended by the school principal, with parental consent and approval by the college Director of Admissions & Records. Units earned may be used for high school or college credit or for both. Students enrolled under this program are exempted from paying enrollment fees.

Residency Determination

A ‘resident’ is a student who has residence in the state of California for more than one year immediately preceding the residence determination date which is the day before the first day of classes.

The resident of any California community college district may attend a community college in any other district in this state, subject to generally applicable admission criteria, and subject to any restrictions set forth in a notice of restriction issued by a district.

In order to determine a person’s place of residence, reference is made to the following statutory rules:

  1. Every person has, in law, a residence.
  2. Any person who is married or is 18 years of age or older and under no legal disability to do so, may establish residence.
  3. In determining the place of residence the following rules are to be observed:
    1. There can be but one place of residence.
    2. A residence is the place where one remains when not called elsewhere for labor or other special or temporary purpose, and to which he/she returns in seasons of repose.
    3. A residence cannot be lost until another is gained.
    4. The residence can be changed only by the union of act and intent.
    5. A man or a woman may establish his or her residence. A woman’s residence shall not be derivative from that of her husband.
    6. The residence of the parent with whom an unmarried minor child maintains his/her place of abode is the residence of the unmarried minor child. When the minor lives with neither parent, his/her residence is that of the parent with whom he/she maintained his/her last place of abode, provided the minor may establish his/her residence when both parents are deceased and a legal guardian has not been appointed.
    7. The residence of an unmarried minor who has a parent living cannot be changed by his/her own act, by the appointment of a legal guardian, or by relinquishment of a parent’s right of control, unless the student qualifies for the self-supporting exception.

In general, a resident has citizenship or permanent resident status in the United States and has established residence in California for at least one year immediately preceding the residency determination date (the day before the first day of classes). If you do not have citizenship or permanent resident status in the United States, or have questions regarding your status, please contact the Admissions and Records Office.

International Students

Students from countries outside of the United States are eligible to attend Porterville College if they have the equivalent of U.S. high school diploma, a TOEFL score of 450 or higher on a paper-based exam or 133 or higher on a computer based exam, and sufficient financial resources to pay all expenses.