Catalog  –  2013 - 2014


Extended Opportunity Program and Services [EOPS]

Extended Opportunity Program and Services (EOPS)EOPS provides services to students who are educationally and economically disadvantaged. The program is funded through the State of California and the local community college district.

To be eligible for the program, a student must:

  • be a resident of California
  • be a full time student (12 credits) at Porterville College
  • qualify for the Board of Governors Waiver A or B
  • be educationally disadvantaged as determined by state regulations
  • not have completed more than 70 credits of college level course work
  • be working toward a certificate or degree
  • be making satisfactory academic progress with an Educational Study Plan on file.

Services students may be eligible for:

  • Grants
  • Book awards
  • School supplies
  • Academic advising
  • Transfer assistance
  • Peer advising
  • Meal cards

Financial Aid

Federal and State Financial Aid

Federal and state financial aid are available to assist students enrolled in eligible programs (a four-year or two-year public or private educational institution, a career school or trade school) to cover the cost of their educational expenses, including tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. Most aid is need-based and requires enrollment in six or more credits.

What type of financial aid is available?

  • Grants
  • Loans: PC does not participate in the loan programs
  • Workstudy: Lets students earn money
  • Scholarships: Awarded to students for academic achievement.

In order to qualify for federal student aid, you must:

  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security Number; have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate.register (or have registered) with the Selective Service System if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25.
  • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program.
  • meet satisfactory academic progress policy (SAP) set by the postsecondary school you are or will be attending. See the Financial Aid website at for SAP policy.
  • certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes. Certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and that you do not owe money on a federal student grant.
  • Students CANNOT receive financial aid at two institutions in the same academic period.
  • The law suspends aid eligibility to students convicted under federal or state law for sale or possession of illegal drugs.

How do you apply for federal student aid?

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Apply online at

Call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

Board of Govenors Waiver (BOGW)

The BOGW is a FEE WAIVER for California residents only. If eligible, the BOGW will cover the cost of the California enrollment fees for the academic year. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office, AC-103.

Cal Grant

Cal Grants A, B and C are for students who are pursuing an undergraduate degree or occupational and career training and do not have to be paid back.

Students may accept only one Cal Grant at a time and should apply during their senior year in high school.

To be eligible for a Cal Grant, you must:

  • be a California resident attending an eligible school or college in the state
  • be a high school graduate
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • have a financial need at your college
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP). See Financial Aid website at SAP policy.
  • be in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
  • not have a bachelor’s or higher degree before receiving a Cal Grant
  • be attending school at least half time
  • have registered with U.S. Selective Service if required to do so
  • not owe a refund on any state or federal educational grant
  • not have a delinquent or defaulted federal student loan
  • not have family income and assets above the ceilings