Questions that Porterville College students often ask...   and the answers.

Associate Degree

What is the difference between an Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degree?

Most degrees offered at Porterville College are Associate in Arts degrees. An Associate in Science degree is awarded to students who complete 18 credits in the biological and physical sciences, in addition to the general education courses required for the degree.

What are the requirements for a degree?

The degree requirements include: courses in a major; completion of one of the three general education patterns; and the additional campus requirements of PE/health, Ethnic Studies and a specific Education course. Check out the college catalog, visit the website, or talk to a counselor regarding these specific requirements.

Who should I go see regarding my degree requirements?

See one of the counselors stop by AC-126 or call 791-2329 to make an appointment. In addition, the degree requirements are also listed on the college website at www.portervillecollege.edu.

When do I complete a degree evaluation to see if I am on target for graduation?

A degree petition should be submitted during the first several weeks of the term prior to the term in which you plan to complete your degree. The specific dates are listed on the petition which can be obtained at the Admissions and Records office, or from one of the counselors.

I don't have a declared major, but can I still complete a degree?

No. You must declare a major in order to receive a degree. If you are unsure of your major a counselor can assist you in developing one.

Do any of the remedial courses I've taken previously count toward the degree?

No. Remedial or developmental courses do not count toward the degree.

Can I use classes I've taken at another college to satisfy my requirements?

In most cases, yes. You should have an official copy of your transcripts from that college sent to the Admissions and Records office who will determine which areas of the degree these courses will count towards.

Do I have to maintain a certain grade point average in order to graduate?

Yes. In order to graduate, you must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0.

Does a "D" grade count toward degree requirements?

A "D" grade will not count towards courses in the major, but may count towards general education. If a student is following the IGETC general education pattern, a "D" grade will not count. If a student is following the CSU GE Breadth pattern, a "D" grade may count but not towards Speech, English, mathematics, and critical thinking. If a student is following the PC GE checklist, a "D" grade will not count in writing, communications, and mathematics. Regardless if the "D" grade counts or not, you must receive a cumulative GPG of 2.0 in all degree requirements, including general education.