Questions that Porterville College students often ask...   and the answers.


What is a CSU?

CSU stands for California State University. CSUs are universities that grant bachelors, and masters degrees (and some special doctoral programs). The majority of Porterville College students transfer to a CSU. These include Fresno State, Bakersfield State, Cal Poly, etc.

Which general education pattern should I use if transferring to a CSU?

You can use either the CSU GE Breadth, or the IGETC checklist.

Where can I get a copy of the CSU general education checklist?

It is available on the college website at www.portervillecollege.edu, or you can get one from the counseling center in AC-126.

Do I have to get an Associate degree if I want to transfer to a CSU?

No. However, the CSUs do require certain courses to be completed prior to transfer, so you are encouraged to speak with a counselor to find out what courses you should take to enhance your ability to be accepted at a CSU.

How do CSU transfer requirements differ from a UC?

Students transferring to a UC after graduating from Porterville College must complete the IGETC pattern. Students transferring to a CSU after graduating from Porterville College may complete either the CSU Breadth or IGETC patterns. The cumulative grade point average you must have in order to be accepted is higher for a UC (2.8) than for a CSU (2.0). Since there are fewer UCs than CSUs it is harder to get accepted to a UC; therefore, a student’s cumulative grade point average becomes even more critical.

Where can I go for help in deciding which CSU to transfer to?

You can see any counselor, but you are especially encouraged to visit the Transfer Center and speak with the transfer counselor located in AC-126.

When should I apply to transfer to a CSU?

As soon as the application period for the next fall begins. Generally, the application period is October 1st through November 30th. Some CSUs do not admit students in the spring term, so check with a counselor, or the Transfer Center, to see which universities are accepting applications for the spring term.

How much does it cost to attend a CSU?

The enrollment fee alone for a CSU is approximately $4,500 per academic year. This amount does not include other campus-specific fees, and costs for books, supplies, and housing.

Do CSU representatives ever come to PC so I can speak with them?

Yes, representatives from many of the CSUs, UCs and private institutions visit the campus. Check the calendar in the Transfer Center on when and which campus representatives will be visiting. You can also make an appointment to meet with these representatives in the Transfer Center in AC-126.

Does PC ever arrange visitations to CSU campuses?

Sometimes, depending on the budget. Please check with the Transfer Center coordinator/counselor if any trips are being scheduled. Also, certain campus programs arrange visitations for their students, so if you are a member of a program on campus, check with your advisor.