Questions that Porterville College students often ask...   and the answers.

Disability Resource Center (DRC) – disabled students

Where is the DRC office located?

AC-115.The phone number is 791-2215.

What services are available for disabled students?

The program provides a variety of special accommodations and services for disabled students including counseling, alternative media, test proctoring, note-taking, interpreters, learning disability testing, etc.

Is there a cost to utilize these services?


How do I find out if I am eligible for services?

Stop by the DRC office in AC-115 to complete an intake form and to speak with a staff member about your eligibility. Or call 791-2215 to make an appointment.

What are the office hours of the DRC office?

The office is open Monday Thursday, 7:30 a.m. 5:30 p.m. and Fridays from 8:00 a.m. till noon. Also, the office is open Tuesday and Wednesday evenings until 6:30 p.m. These hours are subject to change, so it's best to call ahead to ensure the office is open.

Do I have to participate in the DRC program, in order to utilize services?

No. By law, the college is required to provide services and special accommodations to any disabled student, regardless if you are a member of the program or not.

Can I receive extra time in taking a test?

Yes. If you have a verified disability that requires extra time on tests, the DRC office can arrange for this service to be provided.

Does the campus offer note-taking assistance?

Yes. If you have a verified disability that requires assistance in taking notes during a lecture, the DRC office can arrange for this service to be provided.

Is captioning available for DVDs that I may need to watch in my classes?


How do I request special accommodations if I need them?

Stop by DRC office in AC-115 or call 791-2215 and the staff will assist you with the process to request special accommodations.

I may have a learning disability, so how can I get assessed to find out for sure?

You should make an appointment to see the Learning Disabilities specialist. Her office is located in the DRC office, AC-115. Special testing is available to determine if you have a learning disability or not.

Is it the decision of the teacher if I can receive special accommodations or not?

No. If you qualify for special accommodations you have the right to receive them.

What does 504 and IEP stand for?

Section 504 is part of the Rehabilitation Act that mandates that students with learning, physical or other types of disabilities receive services to allow an equal experience in education. An Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) is a plan that is worked out with a DRC counselor/specialist that outlines the specific services needed and course sequence to complete your educational objectives.

How to use this site:

For an example, if you have a question about "Registration", you would click on the "R" link at the top of the page, then you will find links on the left-hand side of the page covering topics beginning with the letter R.

However, in this case, when you click on "Registering" in the menu, you are prompted to check questions relating to "Enrolling."

Questions are listed in the main section of the web page, click on the triangle to expand the question to see the answer.