Questions that Porterville College students often ask...   and the answers.

Finanacial Aid & Scholarships

Where is the financial aid office located?


When is the financial aid office open?

Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. 5:30 p.m., and Friday, 8:00 a.m. 11:00 a.m. The office is also open on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings until 6:30 p.m.

How do I apply for financial aid and what is the FAFSA?

To apply for financial aid, you must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is completed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Do I have to apply every semester?

No, but you do have to apply every academic year. Sometimes students wait until just before or even after the term has already begun before they apply for aid and this delays their receipt of aid and ability to pay for books, etc.. So apply early and call the financial aid office (791-2301) for the application deadlines.

Can I make an appointment to see someone about my financial aid?

Yes. Stop by the financial aid office in AC-103 or call 791-2301 to make an appointment.

Does the college offer loans?


What is financial aid?

Financial aid helps you meet your college expenses. Although your family and you have the primary responsibility to pay these expenses, financial aid helps you meet the costs you cannot pay. Aid comes from federal, state and local programs.

What is the Board of Governor's fee waiver?

The Board of Governors waiver (BOGW) is a fee waiver for California residents only. If eligible, the BOGW will cover the cost of the California enrollment fees for the academic year.

What is the Federal Code for Porterville College?


Who determines my dependency status?

The Federal Government determines your dependency status, based on the questions in (Step Three) of the FAFSA application.

Do I make too much money to apply for aid?

There is no income limit that excludes students from applying for federal aid. Furthermore, most colleges and universities require their students to apply for federal aid and will not consider them for school-based aid unless there is a federal application on file. This is also true of many privately-sponsored programs, even the ones based solely on merit. So all students, no matter what their income is, are advised to file a FAFSA.

My parents are divorced which income do I report?

If your parents are divorced or have separated before you apply for aid, you must report the income of the parent with whom you have been living for the greatest amount of time during the past 12 months. If you didn't live with either of them (or lived with them equally), then you must report the income of the parent who has provided the greatest amount of financial support (cash, food, clothing, housing, medical care, contribution to college costs, etc.) during the past 12 months.

If my step father is not helping me financially, do I have to declare his income?

Your stepparent's income and asset information must be reported, even if he is not supporting you. There are no exceptions to this rule (even if your stepparent submits in writing that he is not going to support you).

My parents refuse to provide the information requested on FAFSA, what can I do?

Unfortunately, if your parents refuse to supply this information, you will not be able to apply for aid. Try explaining the situation again to your parents. Hopefully, when they understand the importance, they will reconsider.

What is the maximum number of terms/credits I can receive financial aid?

You can receive financial aid at Porterville College for up to 90 units of academic course work. Therefore, it is extremely important that you meet with an academic counselor to develop your educational plan and to determine your course load each semester. Please remember that all the credits that you have earned, whether you received aid or not, including No Pass (NP), repeats, and withdrawals (W) will count toward the maximum 90 units. You must complete ALL of the units you were enrolled in and funded for during the semester.

Do I have to maintain a certain grade point average to continue to receive aid?

You must maintain academic progress toward your educational goal. If you do not maintain academic progress you may be suspended from financial aid.

Do I need a Student Educational Plan (SEP) in order to receive financial aid?

Yes, and you must maintain progress toward meeting the goal established on your SEP.

If denied financial aid, can I appeal that decision and how?

If you are denied financial aid or wish to request a waiver of the Satisfactory Academic Progress, you have the right to Appeal. Appeals are submitted to and reviewed by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee.

How do I receive my financial aid?

To apply for financial aid, you must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is completed online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

When and how do I apply for a scholarship?

Scholarships are awarded based on grade point average and they do not require repayment. Some scholarships are awarded on the basis of grades alone, but many also have other requirements to qualify. Scholarship applications are available late in the fall semester. Applications are available at the financial aid office or online on the college website at www.portervillecollege.edu .

I hope to get a scholarship; do I need to maintain a certain grade point average?

Yes. Scholarships are awarded based on grade point average. Each scholarship may have different GPA requirements so you are encouraged to maintain a high GPA in order to qualify for more scholarships.

How will I be notified if I receive a scholarship?

You will be notified by letter.

When and how do I receive my scholarship?

This will depend on what scholarship you are awarded. Most scholarships are given at the Scholarship Reception at the end of the spring term. Call the financial aid office (791-2301) regarding the specifics of your particular award.

How to use this site:

For an example, if you have a question about "Registration", you would click on the "R" link at the top of the page, then you will find links on the left-hand side of the page covering topics beginning with the letter R.

However, in this case, when you click on "Registering" in the menu, you are prompted to check questions relating to "Enrolling."

Questions are listed in the main section of the web page, click on the triangle to expand the question to see the answer.