Questions that Porterville College students often ask...   and the answers.


How many units are required for graduation?

The minimum units required for an associate degree are 60.

Do I have to maintain a specific grade point average in order to graduate?

Yes. You must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0.

What are the general requirements for graduation with an Associate degree?

You must complete the courses in your major, one of the three general education patterns, and the campus-specific requirements of PE/health, one of the Education courses, and an Ethnic Studies course. In addition, you must maintain an overall GPA of 2.0.

What should I do to make sure I am on target for graduation?

It is a good idea to periodically check in with a counselor to make sure you are on track to complete your degree requirements.

If I have taken classes at another college, how do I have them count for graduation?

You must have official copies of transcripts from all colleges sent to our Admissions and Records office. These transcripts will be reviewed and determined as to which classes taken will count toward major or general education requirements for your major at Porterville College.

Other than general education and major requirements, what other classes are required?

Porterville College requires you to complete an Ethnic Studies course, one of the Education courses listed on the GE checklists, and PE/health.

Can I graduate with two majors?

Yes, you can graduate with a dual major. You will use the same general education pattern for both majors; however, the major requirements in one major cannot be used (double-counted) for the major requirements of the other major.

When do I apply for graduation?

You can "graduate" in the fall, spring, or summer terms. Normally, the application deadline is the first few weeks of the term preceding the term in which the student wants to graduate. Check with a counselor or the Admissions and Records office for the actual deadline dates.

What paperwork do I need to submit to apply for graduation?

You must complete an "Intent to Graduate" form. These are available in the counseling center or at the Admissions and Records office.

Do I have to participate in the commencement ceremony in order to graduate?


When is the commencement ceremony?

The commencement ceremony is only done once per year, on the Friday evening of the last day of finals in May.

Do I have to wear my cap and gown at commencement?


Where do I purchase my cap and gown?

At the college bookstore in the Student Center.

How will I find out about what I need to do to participate in commencement?

If you indicated on your Intent to Graduate form that you plan on participating in commencement, you will receive a letter a few weeks before commencement on the specifics of the ceremony, when to arrive, what to wear, etc. There will also be a practice on the Thursday evening before the commencement ceremony.