Questions that Porterville College students often ask...   and the answers.


How do I make an appointment to talk with someone about veterans' benefits?

Call the Vets advisor at 791-2237 or stop by the counseling center in AC-126 to make an appointment.

What services are provided for military veteran students?

In addition to veteran's financial assistance through the GI bill, the college offers its veterans individualized counseling, orientation, support groups, and special workshops.

Do I have to be a full-time student in order to receive veterans' benefits?


What is a Veterans Request for Certification form?

After registering for classes, you need to make an appointment with the counselor to complete a Veterans Request for Certification Form. This form includes your approved class schedule, designates which educational assistance program you are under, i.e. Chapter 30, 33, etc., and other personal and contact information necessary for your counselor to monitor your progress.

Do I have to maintain a certain grade point average in order to receive benefits?

You have to continue to maintain academic progress toward your declared major. If you fall below a 2.0 GPA it may impact your continued receipt of veteran's benefits.

Do I need to have a Student Educational Plan (SEP) to receive benefits?


What happens if I get called into service during the semester?

If you receive orders compelling you to withdraw, the college will permit withdrawal at any time during the term with no adverse impact on your academic records or enrollment status.