Questions that Porterville College students often ask...   and the answers.

Non-resident students

I'm not a resident of the U.S., can I still register at PC?


What process do I follow in order to enroll as a non-resident?

You should contact the Admissions and Records office in the AC building or call the staff person assigned to international students at 791-2269. There are a variety of documents you need to provide or complete and she can assist you with the process.

Are the fees the same for non-resident students as they are for residents?

No. In addition to the regular state enrollment fees of $26 per credit, international students must also pay the non-resident fee of $184 per credit and a capital outlay fee of $25 per credit. These are subject to change.

What is the "capital outlay" fee that I have to pay what is that for?

This fee is an estimated amount for the costs for maintenance of buildings, equipment, etc. The fee is $33 per credit enrolled up to 15 credits.

I've been in the states a long time; can I get exempted from the non-resident fees?

Yes; however, there are a variety of requirements that must be met in order to qualify for an exemption of the non-resident fees. These requirements are listed in the college catalog at www.portervillecollege.edu or can be obtained by stopping by the Admissions and Records office in the Academic Center building.

What is the TOEFL?

TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language and foreign students are required to complete this test with a certain score in order to meet minimum admissions requirements. Make sure your TOEFL scores are sent to the Admissions and Records office.

What is SEVIS?

SEVIS is an internet-based application for electronically tracking and reporting on international students and exchange visitors in the United States. SEVIS allows the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Department of State to capture data surrounding students and exchange visitors pre-arrival activities, arrival, status while in the U.S,. and program completion.