Questions that Porterville College students often ask...   and the answers.

UC - University of California

What is a UC?

“UC” stands for University of California and includes universities such as UCLA, Berkley, Davis, Santa Barbara, Merced, etc. The UC’s offer bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees.

Which general education pattern should I use if transferring to a UC?

You must follow IGETC.

Where can I get a copy of the IGETC requirements?

The IGETC requirements are available in the counseling center in AC-126 or on the college website at www.portervillecollege.edu. Click on “counseling” and then “Academic advising” to find the checklists.

Do I have to get an associate degree if I want to transfer to a UC?

No. The completion of an associate degree is not a requirement for transfer to a UC. However, you are encouraged to complete the IGETC requirements and any prerequisites in the major required at the UC you will be transferring to. Completing both of these requirements will almost satisfy the requirements for the associate degree.

How do UC transfer requirements differ from a CSU?

When completing your general education requirements, if transferring to a UC you must complete IGETC. CSU transfer students can complete either IGETC or the CSU GE Breadth requirements. The minimum GPA requirements are higher for the UCs (2.8) then they are for a CSU campus (2.0).

Where can I go for help in deciding which UC to transfer to?

Stop by the Transfer Center in AC-126 or make an appointment with the Transfer Center coordinator/counselor, although you can see any counselor for transfer assistance.

When should I apply to transfer to a UC?

The application period begins October 1st and ends November 30th of each year.

How much does it cost to attend a UC?

The enrollment fees alone for a UC are approximately $11,000 per academic year. This amount does not include other campus-specific fees, and costs for books, supplies, and housing.

Do UC representatives ever visit PC so I can speak with them?

Yes. Stop by the Transfer Center in AC-126 to obtain a schedule of visitations or speak with the Transfer Center coordinator/counselor.

Does PC ever arrange visitations to CSU campuses?

Sometimes, depending on the budget. Please check with the Transfer Center coordinator/counselor if any trips are being scheduled. Also, certain campus programs arrange visitations for their students, so if you are a member of a program on campus, check with your advisor.

How to use this site:

For an example, if you have a question about "Registration", you would click on the "R" link at the top of the page, then you will find links on the left-hand side of the page covering topics beginning with the letter R.

However, in this case, when you click on "Registering" in the menu, you are prompted to check questions relating to "Enrolling."

Questions are listed in the main section of the web page, click on the triangle to expand the question to see the answer.