Porterville College Supports its Military

Special Service to Veterans

graphic image of servicemanParking permits are required to park on campus; however, this expense is not covered under the Veterans Affairs educational benefit program. Therefore, when enough donations have been received, free parking passes will be provided to veterans who are enrolled at Porterville College.

Inspiration for Activity

The April 24, 2013 email distribution of the "Today's News – Office of Communications, California Community College State Chancellor's Office" included an article titled "Saving a Spot for a Veteran at Cuesta College." The article was about Cuesta College providing free parking passes for their veteran students in honor of a former student, Michael Mihalakis, who was killed while serving in Iraq. While a student at Cuesta College, Michael joined the Army National Guard and was deployed to Iraq. While in Iraq, Michael was planning to enroll back into classes at Cuesta College and emailed one of his former professors to "save a place for me" in his class because his unit was not returning until soon after the start of the spring term.

Within a month of sending the email, Michael was killed in Baghdad.

To honor the memory of his former student and especially his commitment to education, the professor began a special foundation account to purchase parking permits for Cuesta College veterans and the parking permits are known as "Mikes" in remembrance of Michael Mihalakis.

Porterville College Activity

Rather than creating a new name, the parking permits for Porterville College veterans will also be called "Mikes". Even though the story of Michael Mihalakis's sacrifice and dedication to education is the inspiration for this activity, this effort would honor all local veterans who have placed a value in education by enrolling at Porterville College. As Michael asked his professor to do at Cuesta College, Porterville College would be "saving a place" in the parking lot for veterans to come and continue their education.

Method of Funding

Funding will be through donations to the foundation account established for the specific purpose of providing this additional support to veterans who are pursuing their educational goals at Porterville College.

How to donate

Make a check out to the "Porterville College Foundation" and note on the check that this is for the "Veterans Resource Center – Mikes."

Send the check to the Porterville College Foundation office, 100 E. College Avenue, Porterville, CA, 93257. You can also bring your check, or cash, into the Foundation office located in the Academic Center room 102.

Thanks for supporting our veterans!

Upcoming Changes to The Post-9/11 GI-Bill

The Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2010 was recently signed into law. This page lists changes to the GI Bill made by this law.

Effective August 1, 2009, but not payable until October 1, 2011

  • Expands the Post-9/11 GI Bill to include Active Service performed by National Guard members under title 32 U.S.C. for the purpose of organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing, or training the National Guard; or under section 502(f) for the purpose of responding to a national emergency.

Effective March 5, 2011

  • Limits active duty members to the net cost for tuition and fees prorated based on the eligibility tiers (40%-100%) previously established for Veterans.
    • Same limitations apply to transferee spouses of active duty servicemembers

Effective August 1, 2011

  • For Veterans and their transferees - simplifies the tuition and fee rates for those attending a public school and creates a national maximum for those enrolled in a private or foreign school
    • Pays all public school in-state tuition and fees;
    • Private and foreign school costs are capped at $17,500 annually;
    • The Yellow Ribbon Program still exists for out-of-state fees and costs above the cap.
  • For Active Duty Members and their transferees - creates a national rate for those active duty members enrolled in a private or foreign school pursuing a degree
    • Pays all public school in-state tuition and fees;
    • Private and foreign school costs are capped at $17,500 annually
  • Allows VA to pay MGIB (chapter 30) and MGIB-SR (chapter 1606) ‘kickers’, or college fund payments, on a monthly basis instead of a lump sum at the beginning of the term
  • Prorates housing allowance by the student’s rate of pursuit (rounded to the nearest tenth)
    • A student training at a rate of pursuit of 75% would receive 80% of the BAH rate
  • Break or interval pay is no longer payable under any VA education benefit program unless under an Executive Order of the President or due to an emergency, such as a natural disaster or strike.
    • This means that when your semester ends (e.g. December 15th), your housing allowance is paid for the first 15 days of December only and begins again when your next semester begins (e.g. January 10th) and is paid for the remaining days of January.
    • Students using other VA education programs are included in this change. Monthly benefits will be pro-rated in the same manner.
    • Entitlement that previously would have been used for break pay will be available for use during a future enrollment.
  • Allows reimbursement for more than one “license or certification” test (previously only one test was allowed).
    • However, entitlement is now charged
  • Allows reimbursement of fees paid to take national exams used for admission to an institution of higher learning (e.g., SAT, ACT, GMAT, LSAT)
  • Allows those who are eligible for both Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (chapter 31) benefits and Post-9/11 GI Bill (chapter 33) benefits to choose the Post-9/11 GI Bill’s monthly housing allowance instead of the chapter 31 subsistence allowance.
  • NOAA and PHS personnel are now eligible to transfer their entitlement to eligible dependents

Effective October 1, 2011

  • Allows students to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill for -
    •  Non-college degree (NCD) programs:  Pays actual net cost for in-State tuition and fees at public NCD institutions.  At private and foreign institutions, pays the actual net costs for in-state tuition and fees or $17,500, whichever is less.  Also pays up to $83 per month for books and supplies.
    • On-the-job and apprenticeship training:  Pays a monthly benefit amount prorated based on time in program and up to $83 per month for books and supplies.
    • Flight programs: Per academic year, pays the actual net costs for in-state tuition and fees assessed by the school or $10,000, whichever is less. 
    • Correspondence training:  Per academic year, pays the actual net costs for in-state tuition and fees assessed by the school or $8,500, whichever is less.
  • Housing allowance is now payable to students (other than those on active duty) enrolled solely in distance learning.  The housing allowance payable is equal to ½ the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents.
    • The full-time rate for an individual eligible at the 100% eligibility tier would be $673.50 for 2011.
  • Allows students on active duty to receive a books and supplies stipend.


Counseling Tips:

If you need help registering for classes, you should make an appointment to see the counselor.

After registering for classes, you need to make an appointment with the counselor to complete a Veterans Request for Certification Form.

If you are changing your major, you need to see the counselor to complete a new Veterans Education Plan (this could only be done before the semester starts).

If you add, drop, or change a class after completing a Veterans Request for Certification Form, you need to make an appointment with the counselor to make changes on the Veterans Request for Certification form.

If you are unable to see the counselor to make changes on the Veterans Request for Certification Form, please feel free to download the form, make the changes yourself, and turn it in to the Veterans Clerk in admissions.

If your GPA falls below a 2.0 you will be placed on academic probation and will not be able to register for classes until you meet with a counselor to complete a Student Success Contract and until you attend a probationary workshop.

If you fall on probation for three consecutive semesters you will be disqualified from the college. You will need to meet with a counselor to fill out and submit a Petition for Re-Admission and to develop a new Student Success Contract. The disqualification committee will review your petition and make a decision. If readmission is approved, you will only be eligible to register for 7 units, must take EDUC P107, and must turn in a progress report.

All Veteran students have priority registration and are able to register before new and returning students. If you are a Veteran student and do not have priority registration please contact Andrea Anaya at 559-791-2402.

For further assistance or questions you can reach Norma Macias, Veterans Counselor at 559-791-2237, or Andrea Anaya at 559-791-2402.